Thursday, February 4, 2010

And I remember why...

Last night, my Husband received a letter in the mail. It was from a woman he had never met before. This woman goes to church with his Grandma. What she wrote brought me to tears.

"You don't know me, I go to church with your Grandparents. Sometimes after church, we go out to eat together...I am looking out the window as I write, the tree branches are encased in an inch of ice and we have 12" of snow and it is still coming down. It is so beautiful and peaceful. I just wanted to drop a line and you how much I appreciate you and the other mean and women like you. Thanks to you we cna enjoy the freedoms we have here in America. I thank God for you and pray for you morning and night. God bless you and keep you safe."

This is why we do it. This is why he serves, why I wait through long deployments, why we survive them. For him, it is a passion. When he gets a note like this, when random people come up to him to thank him, when I see outpourings of gratitude for his service I am reminded that his job keeps me free. He fights for me. And not just me, but for everyone in this country. This is what makes all of the hard times completely worth every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment