Sunday, March 14, 2010

Issues

Blake & I have adjusted quite well to being married. For the most part, we have navigated our way through marriage (at least the 8 months of it), and we have dealt with adjusting to living with the other person. Our one minor exception would be sleep.

Neither of us have ever had trouble sleeping until the day we said "I do." I believe the problem is really about sharing. Blake had free reign of our queen size bed for 8 months before we got married. And with the exception of college, I've always had either a full size or a queen size bed to myself. We liked it that way.

Now we have to share, and it's just not going well. I've always been a roamer when I sleep, and I've never been one to stay in one place. I move, switch sides, and at times I was known to flip ends and sleep at the bottom of the bed. Now I feel restricted. I can't move around, and it's killing me.

I have to stay in one place, and on top of that, he gets too close to me. I've never been claustrophobic, but I swear I'm developing it. If he crosses that invisible center line and gets too close to me, I feel like I'm going insane and that I might suffocate. And it drives him insane. Our nights consist of him falling asleep the second his head hits the pillow, and then me yelling at him and pushing him the second he moves.

We're at a standstill. Some couples dream of buying a house, getting a pet, and having children. At this point in our marriage, all we're dreaming of is buying a king size bed. It's either that or we're going to have to go back to the 50's and get our own separate beds. Actually, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

The best part of my night happens at 5 am. When Blake has to get out of bed and leave for PT. I get the whole bed to myself. It reminds me of my better, single days. Just kidding-I love you hubs! But seriously, this is a problem. All these military wives talk about leaving their husband's side of the bed untouched when he deploys. I can't even leave his side of the bed untouched when he leaves for PT!

I guess I'm just not that kind of wife. I mean, I'm all about making the best out of each situation, even during a deployment. If making the best out of the deployment means that I get the whole bed, then so be it. I've got to enjoy something so might as well be sleep. After all, I've always enjoyed my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment